Exciting Unit 373 Progress with our “Newbies”

The 299er Silver Point Sectional was held on April 6 and 7th, 2016

Wednesday
  9:30 Pairs 13 Tables Jane Rubin spoke on Etiquette, Ethics & Rules
  2:00 Pairs 11 Tables Bruce Rubin gave lesson on Opening Leads
Thursday
  10:00 Swiss 12 Teams Angie Clark spoke on Swiss Teams
      Eric Bell spoke on At the Table with the Director

Marketing

• Flyers on Unit and ACBL websites as well as District 17 Scorecard
  • Flyers handed out to each I/N at the February Sectional
  • Emails sent to all I/Ns with flyer
  • Presentations made at several clubs and flyers distributed
  • Personal calls to over 160 I/Ns telling them about:
        The I/N tournament
        The Unit website
        The Regional at Bally’s in June
  • Marketing for Clubs:
        Flyers out for Henderson games and Supervised LV Bridge World game.
        Announced Spring Mountain Swiss Team night and I/N lessons and games

• The Unit 373 Board for approving this tournament.
  • Bob LaFleur for securing the sanction and giving opening remarks.
  • Ed Matulis for finding free site, hauling the tables and supplies, and doing partnerships
  • The YMCA for giving us the space for free
  • Bert & Judy Kulic for proofing and posting the flyer and providing a list of all 299ers
  • Kitty Cooper for running a free ad in the District 17 Scorecard
  • Jane Rubin and Bob Woodward for directing for free
  • Eric Bell for providing the computer, printer and giving a lesson, and totally supporting
  • Bruce Rubin for giving a lesson
  • Liz Hamilton for promoting it at Atria Seville and donating books as prizes
  • Peg Cundiff for supporting it and sending many players from her Sun City games
  • Bridge World for distributing flyers at their club and Karen Kimes for promoting on Sun.
  • Gordon Fast and Judi Weissinger for their ideas and support
  • Faith Frank for being our guaranteed partner
  • All players who talked with and encouraged the 299ers to participate in this event.
  • And All the 299ers who played and supported the tournament.

We had 5 players join the ACBL! Fun was had by all.

…and a huge show of appreciation to our Tournament Chairman, Angie Clark, for making it all possible!!!!!

And… here are the total results:

ASSETS:
  Entry Fees
    9:30 Pairs    $520.00 – 1 free play $510.00

2:00 Pairs    $440.00 – 2 free plays $420.00
  TOTAL RECEIPTS + $930.00
LIABILITIES:
  Swiss Teams $0.00
  Directors $0.00
  ACBL Sanction Fees (36 tables @
$2.01 per player
$72.36
  Board Duplication (2 sets) $30.00
  Food Expense
    2 breakfasts/2 lunches (60 people each day) $488.91
  Miscellaneous Expenses (white board, plates, cups, coffee, name tags, etc) $98.79
  TOTAL COSTS – $690.06
  NET PROFIT + $239.94

Judy Kay-WolffApril 28th, 2016 at 2:46 pm

In my zeal to share Angie’s exciting news, I neglected to include the three notes she received which I wanted to share with you:

1) WHAT A GREAT DAY. I truly enjoyed it all and sorry we can’t be there today. Hope it was successful for you and the rest of the hard workers. Please pass this note along. Also I hope you will do this again. I will be telling everyone what they missed and next time you will have a bus load from Mesquite
Again THANKS.
Donna Phelps
p.s. I will watch for the pictures
**************************************************

2)Dear Angie,

Just wanted to thank you again for all your hard work in putting this tournament together. We all loved it and so appreciate all you did!

Also I was wondering where the picture that you took of Daryl and I today was located – can’t seem to find it. Maybe you can send me a link to it.

Again thanks and hope to cross paths with you again sometime.

Warm regards,
Roseanne DePalma
**************************************************

3)Hello Angie:

Thanks you for calling me and getting me motivated to play at the 299er tournament on Wednesday. I would have played Thursday but didn’t have a partner nor a team.

You and Ed, plus Jane and her husband did a fabulous job of putting it together and running it.

The other players were great. Whenever we moved to a new table we were warmly greeted.

I don’t usually do as well as I did that day. Must have been the coffee you served.

Thanks again.

Look forward to returning in the fall. Maybe you’ll have another one of these then.

Fond regards, Ellen Hamil
**************************************************

The above notes are very inspiring .. but I would be remiss if I overlooked sharing the following:

Many prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs bear WARNINGS for the buyers. Bridge is no different but the caution is not printed on the deck of cards. Players (just like drug users) must be aware there is one devastating side effect: ADDICTION. Once you get started and begin to love and appreciate the fun, excitement and fascination of this one-in-a-million game, there is no telling how it may affect your everyday living and your ensuing years. THAT IS NOT ALL BAD. Take it from one who knows (been there — done that). I started in 1957 and here it is (almost sixty years later) and despite the many bumps in the road and frustrations I (and most players) experience .. we look forward to every session … be it a home or club game, Sectional, Regional or National.

I cannot begin to describe how bridge has enriched my life, made hundreds of new friends and has provided such joy and excitement. No one said it was an easy game .. but hang in. It is well worth your fortitude and determination to engulf yourself in this wonderful opportunity. Take it from one who knows! You won’t regret it!

THIS IS NOT A PAID ADVERTISEMENT!

Angie ClarkApril 28th, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Shakespeare said “Much truth is said in jest”. I’m afraid I saw some potential addicts at this tournament!!
I couldn’t agree with you more.
I LOVE this game and the people I’ve met through it.

Mac KennedyApril 28th, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Not to dis the bard so soon after the quadricentennial of his death but It’s originally from The Cook’s Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer with the line, “A man may seye full sooth (truth) in game and pley,” from his “The Canterbury Tales. In “King Lear” Shakespeare wrote, “Jesters do oft prove prophets”; and some years later, the modern version “Many a true word hath been spoken in jest.” was rendered in the “Roxburghe Ballad” collected, forged, stolen and often updated to modern English by John Payne Collier in 1847.

Judy Kay-WolffApril 28th, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Hi Angie:

Great minds think alike. It takes all kinds of individuals to make up the bridge world.

Bobby and I have shared many conversations about some of the bridge participants whose major roles are in sports. movies and other respected careers … and yet they play bridge every time they have a chance. Some day I will write a blog on Bobby's exposure and friendships with some of the world's 'rich and famous." It would read like a "Who's Who."

In closing, I might add a funny line my mother often used. When her bridge cronies would subtly inquire why her 'lovely daughter' (that was supposed to be moi) in her late twenties 'never found a guy' — her stock answer would be: 'How can she ever meet an eligible one when she runs with that 'circus' every weekend (alluding to our local tournaments).

However, she had the last laugh! They were almost in a catatonic state when Charles Goren arrived at my marriage to Norman back in 1963. I could just imagine the expressions on their faces if they knew Norman's successor!!

So bridge does have some rewards other than master points!! I can attest to it!

Judy Kay-WolffApril 28th, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Hi Mac,

You’re spoiling me. I haven’t received such an informative reply since I began blogging. I am certain the expression has been attributed to more than one of our incredibly celebrated writers. It is also reminiscent of possibly crediting certain bridge terminology to the wrong individuals.

For example: If my memory serves me correctly (though I wouldn’t swear to it), one of the most familiar bridge malaprops is “Jordan” which properly should have been accredited as the brainchild of “Truscott” (of New York Times Bridge Column fame); another similar situation involved The Stayman Convention. According to the ACBL Encyclopedia, it was invented by George Rapee though named for his frequent partner, Sam Stayman who introduced it via an article which appeared in the Bridge World Magazine in June of 1945.

Thus, in bridge, you cannot be sure who was the creator of some of these popular, frequently used gadgets which still exist today.

As the old expression goes …. What’s In A Name?

Angie ClarkApril 29th, 2016 at 1:56 am

Hi Mac,

I guess you can now tell I was a Phys Ed major 🙂

Mac KennedyMay 2nd, 2016 at 2:19 pm

And if you are in the UK it is Dormer 2NT

Judy Kay-WolffMay 2nd, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Mac,

You bring back wonderful memories for me. I recall meeting Mr. Dormer when I accompanied Norman to a world championship some fifty or more years ago. We were at a stop off in Taiwan on the way to the final destination and we spoke briefly. Funny the things one recalls!

Mac KennedyMay 3rd, 2016 at 4:56 pm

You can blame my Nana Lizzie born 1886 for my penchant to provide clarifications. She was a stickler for spelling, grammar, diction and penmanship and could in an instant spot a spelling or grammar mistake on a page. She said “they jumped out at her”.

Judy Kay-WolffMay 5th, 2016 at 4:47 am

Mac, I follow in her footsteps in the stickler department for the first three .. but we part ways in the penmanship department. I’d trade the first three in if bridge would only jump out at me in a similar fashion!