Betty Ann Kennedy (1930-2016)

Bobby and I were saddened to learn that his friend of countless decades had passed away yesterday… I only knew Betty Ann personally through Bobby… but casually at the card table as a terrific and ethical bridge player who always said the right thing at the right time… just as what would be expected of the “Perfect Southern Belle.” Unfortunately, I might add (as her opponent) her bidding, declarer play and defense followed suit. She will be sorely missed!

CPNovember 1st, 2016 at 5:15 am

A perfect description for Betty Ann. In fact, as many times as I have played against her over the years, I never saw her lose ‘her cool.’ That is a unique temperament, especially for one who competes in major events

Judy Kay-WolffNovember 1st, 2016 at 5:42 am

CP:

Yes, it saddened me to learn of her death. Although Bobby knew Betty Ann about fifty-some years, I did not spend much time with her until Norman and I became friendly with the late Carol and Tommy Sanders. As most of you all know, Betty Ann and Carol were among the most successful and popular Women’s Partnership In the world for many years. They were certainly very special to all who knew them.

JoanNovember 1st, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Sad and shocking! I had no idea Betty Ann was ill. What was the cause of her death?

Judy Kay-WolffNovember 1st, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Hi Joan,

I know nothing officially .. just from what I read on another site. Apparently, she incurred a serious injury from a fall and it was all downhill from there.

Mac KennedyNovember 1st, 2016 at 8:13 pm

No relation other than the fact she and my late mother shared the same name and my mother also suffered a serious injury from a fall which contributed to her passing. I never played against her but heard only good things about her over the years. May she rest in peace.

Judy Kay-WolffNovember 2nd, 2016 at 12:40 am

Hi Mac,

It is lovely to hear tributes from old, dear friends whose lives Betty Ann touched .. but even more touching from strangers who may never have crossed paths with her, but were impressed by her reputation.

Terry SmithNovember 20th, 2016 at 3:56 am

Hi Judy,

Sorry to read the news about Betty Ann. You mention Carol Sanders. I actually once had the pleasure of playing a 2 session open pairs with her in Memphis. No idea why she asked me to play (I certainly would not have been so forward as to ask her). It was a Memphis sectional. I always suspected that Sanders being such good friends with Dick Goldberg (a National Tournament Director from Nashville, at this time Asst. Executive Secretary of the ACBL) he may have suggested if she were looking for a partner she ask me. Not a particularly successful day although we did qualify for the final session.

Terry SmithNovember 21st, 2016 at 1:56 am

Oops, Can’t really blame this on old age – but I knew that when this happened in Memphis Dick Goldberg at that time was the Executive Secretary of the ACBL, not asst.

Judy Kay-WolffNovember 27th, 2016 at 1:26 am

Hi Terry,

Hardly old age. In my case, I usually attribute slip of the tongue or “forgets” to all the medications I am on. However, I seem to overcome my “goof ups” up at the table since I found some nice octogenarian who plays with me regularly and still has all his marbles (and some to spare)!

ahmedDecember 17th, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Judy Kay-WolffDecember 18th, 2016 at 12:44 am

A lovely memory — not unlike most!