Exciting News from Las Vegas

Take advantage of the upcoming Unit 373 Glitter Gulch Sectional rates at the newly renovated Plaza in the traditionally celebrated area known as The Fremont Experience. I have been in touch with Chairlady Extraordinaire, Angie Clark, who served as Hospitality Chairperson for the last two Chicago NABCs. I’ve gleaned the following from her which I want to share with you:

The playing site is conveniently located and has fresh new carpeting where they have installed an additional bank of can lights to the already-existing adequate light system to make a very well-lit attractive playing area which is almost adjacent to the restrooms. There are restaurants and coffee shops in the Plaza as well as numerous dining facilities and other casinos just steps away.

The dates of our tournament are Monday through Friday (February 20-24th). The Starting Times are 10 & 3. The room rates (including resort fee and tax):  MONDAY ($54.25); TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY ($44.25).  Be sure to make your hotel reservation by January 30th USING OUR RESERVATION CODE:  SPACBL! (The card fees per session are $12 per person/$15 for non-ACBL members). The popular starting times of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. allow our players to enjoy relaxing meals in incredibly exciting surroundings.

The bridge schedule encompasses: PAIR GAMES: Two Sessions Every Day with an exciting BAROMETER PAIRS on Thursday; KNOCKOUTS Monday through Wednesday… with SWISS TEAMS available for those knocked out early. The tourney closes on Friday with a two-session STRATIFIED SWISS TEAMS and PAIR GAMES as well. Our 0-299ers have games every day at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. No section top prizes will be provided; however, trophies for I/Ns have been arranged. Check out our Unit 373 site for more specific details.

With the expected success of the February Sectional, we can ensure many more events at this location in the future. We look forward to your joining us at The Plaza.

More details to follow!

CPJanuary 12th, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Sounds very enticing, but any possibility there is a typo in the room rates?

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 12th, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Hi CP,

As a matter of fact, my initial reaction was the same as yours. I did check it out with Angie before posting .. and she confirmed I read it correctly. Then, I inquired if that was the bottom line and that was all-inclusive. Her answer was YES! What a change of pace!

JoanieJanuary 13th, 2017 at 2:29 am

Judy, I remember how much you loved your junkets to Vegas but it was so very long ago, don’t recall whether it was for blackjack or bridge

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 13th, 2017 at 2:38 am

Hello Stranger. My first trip to Vegas was in 1963 for my honeymoon. We spent most of our leisure time playing BJ at The Las Vegas Club .. right across the street from The Plaza. Who would ever have guessed I would return there … some fifty-four years later to play bridge! Guess it just proves I am no spring chicken.

AlanJanuary 14th, 2017 at 1:50 am

This is the first we have heard of the sectional.

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 14th, 2017 at 1:59 am

Alan: I did see it in small print in the January Bulletin in the listings. I think they were trying to finalize the arrangements and just missed the deadline. However, you can check out the Unit 373 website for more information. Hope to see you there!

Jane AJanuary 19th, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Very nice of you to post this, Judy. I hope this sectional is successful and I wish Angie and her team of volunteers good luck. The location should be fine for the out of town players who now have a place to stay on site. Downtown offers lots of choices for meals, all within walking distance. The price is certainly right!

Traffic could be a problem with all the road construction being done up in that part of town. I only mention this because it could be a factor, so plan accordingly. The Plaza was remodeled a few years ago, but I have not seen the rooms so don’t know anything about them. The playing room was always fine, but it sounds like it will be even better with more lighting added. When I first came to Vegas, this is where our sectionals were held until we got booted out due to Nascar coming in and the events were at the same time. Apparently Nascar brought in more money than bridge. No surprise. I don’t think this is a problem now since the timing has changed for our event.

Back to the Glitter Gultch days again. Let’s hope the past successes become the present.

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 19th, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Hi Jane A.

As always, I appreciate your optimistic tones of cheer. Angie is quite a worker .. with her primary objective being to make it the best in a long time. We are meeting for lunch this weekend and I will see the updated version of the hotel for myself. Will report back!

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 24th, 2017 at 12:56 am

With the The Plaza tournament just about a month off, Angie and I decided to case 'the joint' together this past Saturday.  Actually, it is 'anything but' a joint!! Far from it!

The playing space is lovely, on the 3rd floor .. the same level as the Self-Park area .. a stone's throw from the playing room.  As promised, the restrooms are opposite the playing area.  Valet is free though most people (including even tightwads) cough up a few bucks for a tip.    Self Parking: $5 for less than five hours (one playing session); $10 per day BUT .. with a player's card, get your ticket validated at the cashier's cage for free parking with 50 points on your card: (1 point for every $ played on slot machine; 1 point for every $3 played on video poker; 15 minutes of table play (blackjack, craps, etc.). Just ask the pit boss to comp your parking. What a deal .. doing something you enjoy and getting free parking besides!!

The restaurants seemed to be everywhere .. of all varieties (including two 24-hour eateries). Saturday we enjoyed a lunch snack at Hash a Go Go!  Great service, tasty and very affordable.   A host of other eateries/bars are available: Beer Garden; Pop Up Pizza; Race & Sports Book Bar, Food Court includes Zaba's Mexican Grill, Cafelatte plus Subway and McDonalds's (Open daily 24 hours). AND .. I deliberately left the best for last … Oscar's Steak House (named for the popular former longstanding LV Mayor Oscar Goodman).  It is the perfect place to splurge and celebrate after you win your first event.  As good as any super ultra dining experience around!

Many of you old timers who attended the legendary tournaments at the Plaza back in the 80's and 90's will glowingly remember Co-Chairs Martha Beecher and Grace Matthews (plus some other non-stop volunteers) who were no doubt responsible for making the Las Vegas Plaza by far the most popular and well-attended of ALL continental U. S. events (similar to Gatlinburg's rave reviews) for several years running.

Reminder to make your reservations by January 30th for discounted rates using the special bridge code: SPACBL! And .. if you have any questions or concerns, please express yourselves in the space provided below for comments and we will respond. One assurance we can make …. you won't get bored staying at The Plaza Fremont Experience … with so much to offer. Hope to see you soon.

CPJanuary 24th, 2017 at 4:36 am

Thanks for such a comprehensive update. You did a great job. See you there in exactly one month.

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 24th, 2017 at 4:41 am

CP,

Happy to hear you are coming down to the Plaza.
However, I deserve no credit. Angie was the worker bee. I am just the typist!

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 31st, 2017 at 12:08 am

Several local people have been curious about the prospect of a good attendance at The Plaza. By coincidence, I learned today that — of the fifty booked reservations — surprisingly only two locals’ names were noted. That is defined as Great Expectations as all of our loyal locals were not included on the list because the locale is so easy to reach, it is very convenient to commute each day for the 10:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. sessions.

Thus, we are anticipating a terrific turnout .. so if you have not made final arrangements with your partners or teams .. the time is NOW as kickoff is less than three weeks away! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Angie ClarkFebruary 5th, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for all your support of this tournament. Your words will certainly help it be a success. We are very encouraged and hopefully will have a great tournament in a great location.
We still have I/N games all five days of the tournament at 10 and at three and will have speakers 1/2 hour before each session. I will give you the speakers and the topics closer to the time.
Again, thanks for your support.

Judy Kay-WolffFebruary 5th, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Hi Angie,
Thanks for your sensational leadership! The responses/reservations are very rewarding and the cooperation of club owners (The Las Vegas Bridge World and The Henderson Bridge Club) will be a big factor with attendance by our 'locals' as they will not be open the full five days of the Sectional (2/20-2/24) .. Monday through Friday. Unit 373 is very appreciative of their working with us. We are awaiting further word from others.

Judy Kay-WolffFebruary 19th, 2017 at 2:36 am

Just got an update for this week’s Sectional at the Plaza in Las Vegas. Most info is above. I learned that half an hour before every 3:00 session, there will be free lessons. We are graced by the presence of Darryl Depew and Michael Cochran. You will have to check who is speaking on that particular day. I understand their subjects will include Four Way Transfers; Bergen Raises; Inverted Minors; Jacoby 2NT; Splinters .. and more! See you there.

Judy Kay-WolffFebruary 21st, 2017 at 3:08 am

Just returned from Session 2 of the first K/O with the finals at ten tomorrow morning. The site is as nice as it gets! Well lit, spacious and lots of eateries. Attendance looked pretty good with many new faces. It figures to get even better as the week moves on.

Judy Kay-WolffFebruary 22nd, 2017 at 3:45 am

Everyone continues to be delighted with The Plaza (our original bridge site in Las Vegas dating back a few decades). Players (even locals staying at the hotel) are enjoying the unbelievable rates that Angie arranged. We played BJ for about twenty minutes and got our pre-arranged free parking validated. Haven’t heard any complaining so far. In fact, with the change of locale, the throngs are a delightful surprise. Looking forward to tomorrow. The 10 and 3 starting times seem to be a big hit.

Judy Kay-WolffFebruary 23rd, 2017 at 5:32 am

Another terrific day attendance-wise. Angie has done a phenomenal job in making everyone feel so welcome. She is the ideal Tournament Chairlady! Hope we can convince her to do Repeat Performances!

Judy Kay-WolffFebruary 26th, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Yesterday I had to recuperate from four days of exhausting continuous playing. But .. in a little while I will report (on a new blog) my reaction to the Sectional. WHAT A CHANGE OF PACE.