Turning Another Page

Even as a young child, after the fairy tale stage, I couldn’t sit still long enough to relax and read a good book. I was always a “shaker and a doer” (akin to ants in one’s pants). I was never an ’avid reader” even back in college. Just plowed through the subject textbook before a final and survived on what was once a good memory. In fact, the last book I read thoroughly (I am ashamed to confess) was “God’s Little Acre” (the Erskine Caldwell hit from the forties). I even recall its hiding place. Coming home from high school in the late forties, with my mind in the clouds, I walked into a slowly moving trolley car, broke my knee, ended up in the hospital with a plaster cast up to my thigh. However, it served its purpose… a place to hide the book from my mother.

As I grew up and was dazzled by the attractive bridge world, my interests traveled to higher plains. I was so enchanted, I became engulfed in the many challenges it presented and eventually met and married the late Norman Kay, whom many of you old timers will remember. With him, I roamed the world to a host of international championships, got to see many distant locales I otherwise never would have visited .. and the most enjoyable part of the trips both abroad and on U. S. soil was meeting so many delightful bridge personalities — famous players and other mere bridge mortals like myself. I loved the game but never took it seriously and one of my failings was lack of bridge education (because among other things), I never, bothered reading educational renditions as they reached the public. Suddenly, in 2007 (then remarried to Bobby), we were recommended to Ray and Linda Lee, famous for Master Point Press. The draft of what I later named “The Lone Wolff” was discovered high upon a dusty shelf In his Dallas apartment. Bobby had stopped at Chapter 18 and called it quits. On my way back to Philly I read it on the flight, called Bobby from the airport when I arrived home and yelled “No way!  We are gonna finish it together!” It took a few years but with Ray’s sensational guidance, it hit the shelves in 2008 and was a tremendous hit. It was then I realized what opportunities of enjoyment I had missed with my stubborn attitude toward reading.

Another unique and charming gentleman with whom I crossed paths several decades ago was the famous syndicated writer, Frank Stewart, who took over Freddy Sheinwold’s byline newspaper column upon his death. Mind you… he just finished his twenty-fourth book (this one self-published) although two were through MPP .. “Becoming a Bridge Expert” (2001) and “Frank Stewart’s Bridge Club” (2004). It is called “Keys to Winning Bridge” and just hit the press. Because Bobby was honored to write the Foreword, we received an early copy.  I confiscated it on arrival and he has not actually had a chance to read the final release yet as I am still so captivated by Frank’s presentation and determined to read more. It is a book for all seasons. If you want more information, contact me here.

As you can now see, I have been cultivated into a ‘reader’… but bridge only.  Oh, what I missed.  It is never too late!

CPMarch 12th, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Judy:

I must admit as I grow older, I read less and less. But I must confess, I often re-read portions of TLW as so much had been swept under the carpet till then!

Judy Kay-WolffMarch 12th, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Hi CP,

Right on point. But as they say “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!!” Rumor has it that a long, long overdue documented tale of woe is in the process of being released. I’ll say no more.

AlanMarch 12th, 2017 at 10:55 pm

I am slowing down a bit but still enjoy reading, especially about bridge. Send me the details of this book you are savoring as it sounds very educational. Thank you.

Judy Kay-WolffMarch 12th, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Alan, I am sending you a personal note with the information asked for. If you want it personally inscribed, just say so. Incidentally, I neglected to mention all the proceeds go to charity. Enjoy!

JoanieMarch 13th, 2017 at 3:18 am

Curious about the referenced ‘tale of woe.’ When is it being released? Who is the author?

Judy Kay-WolffMarch 13th, 2017 at 3:56 am

Joanie,

Details are sketchy. I heard it was one individual’s brainstorm and others jumped in to help corroborate the facts from long-ago happenings. Of course, we all know you cannot rely on rumors .. especially in the bridge world. Only time will tell.

Martha BeecherMarch 14th, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Sounds like quite a book. Keys to Winning Bridge. Is there a link you can point me to for purchase details.
Thanks

Judy Kay-WolffMarch 15th, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Martha, apparently, my original address for Frank was incorrect. He does not have his own website, but my recent contact is POB 962, Fayette, Al 35555. It is $24.95 postpaid and includes an autograph upon request. I am still loving every moment as, for the first time in eons, I am reading slowing and savoring the countless ways it helps one to improve. especially oldtimers like myself. As the title indicates, it is definitely for advancing players!

Gary MugfordApril 23rd, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Bit late to the party. But I have to tell you that I think Frank Stewart writes the most humanistic Bridge books in the game. The joy I get providing copies of A Christmas Stocking (currently on sale over at Bridge World http://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/bookstore/itemdetailpages/itemdetailpage_1845.html ) to Bridge players I love (admittedly, not a HUGE crowd {G}) makes me happy. Frank’s a throwback systems-wise and so approachable in his writing for new players. Unfortunately, the message is lost on some. But I think we could do a LOT worse than gain new players playing Frank’s way. I say that as a dedicated Scientist who wishes to CRUSH Naturalists (ooops, hope Bobby isn’t lurking). But the newly-birthed players deserve a gentler introduction to the medium.

Frank Stewart ad aside, oh, did I mention his decent selection at BaronBarclay?, yeah, I’m a fan, I could rap rhapsodic about your decision to dish here too. Thank you for doing what I haven’t (finish any of the five books sitting in folders on Quincy … his successor Ruhroh is being assembled by MY GUY as we speak, so the next while will be made all the less enchanting by having a new computer to contend with). I’ve sorta promised to finish Tales From Deep in the Hole, a book about coaching rep softball teams from age 14 to 30 (rep=traveling, including up to the World Junior Championships). And since the Guardian Old Geezer Glee Club meets at my house semi-occasionally, I expect I WILL have something for you and Bobby to … I hope enjoy is the word … sometime this year. I KNOW you aren’t a reader. For me, I want an exception. And the typo pointers that will emerge from that. [G]

Otherwise, BACK TO THE KEYBOARD. Your audience awaits.

GM

RuhRoh is Scooby-Doo for Uh-Oh!

Judy Kay-WolffApril 23rd, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Hi Gary,

What a wonderful tribute to Frank. He was a favorite of Norman, Bobby and moi! Yes, he writes in understandable English and does not belabor the point. I am not ‘big’ on lots of the newer shenanigans and often they do more harm than good. I am a firm believer in the old adage: KISS! Especially at the club level. I think confusing gadgets are a deterrent to new players.