Congratulations to The Winning DIAMOND 2017 Spingold Team

It was an exhilarating well-played, grueling week-long national Championship that was contested to the bitter end! The popular victors were Captain John Diamond and longtime partner, Brian Platnick with world renowned Norwegian celebrities Boye Brogeland and Espen Lindqvist. You might enjoy getting your hands on a copy of “The Lone Wolff” and checking out page 259. The chapter is entitled “What’s to Become of America’s Talented Youth.” You will see some familiar names that Bobby spotted back in 1991. A true bridge Clairvoyant!

WoodyAugust 1st, 2017 at 4:50 am

Read The Lone Wolff and did recall Bobby’s forecast! Congratulations to those fierce fighters!

Judy Kay-WolffAugust 1st, 2017 at 4:56 am

Hi Woody,

In bridge (as other challenges) I always followed the high road .. and believe in the old adage .. ‘never say die.’ But such a comeback in the last segment was too much to expect .. especially against a world class team!

Paul ElsteinAugust 3rd, 2017 at 1:33 am

Hi Judy,

I went back to that chapter, and not just page 259. Bobby is not Clairvoyant. More an excellent judge of potential talent

Judy Kay-WolffAugust 3rd, 2017 at 3:34 am

Hi Stranger,

It is soooo long since we were last in touch. Welcome back! And, I do agree with your ‘take.’

If you had read the TLW before, you know I immodestly took credit for it hitting the book shelves! Right before we were about to be married, I found a dust-covered pile of papers high on an unreachable shelf in Bobby’s Dallas apartment. When I questioned him about it, he nonchalantly shrugged . replying it was a draft of a book about the world of bridge as he viewed it .. but was so busy, he had abandoned it. Since I was about to depart for Philadelphia, I grabbed it and stuffed it into my travel bag to kill time on my long flight home. As soon as I arrived, I picked up the phone and screamed in his ear …. NO WAY! It took almost a year after we were wed to revise the first eighteen chapters, adding six more, and follow it to its conclusion .. thanks to Ray Lee and Masterpoint Press.

Thus .. The Lone Wolff!

CPAugust 4th, 2017 at 4:35 am

So when is THe Lone Wolff II coming out?

Judy Kay-WolffAugust 4th, 2017 at 4:44 am

CP: You must be joking. Not on your life .. as they say. I still haven’t recovered from the first one; however, I can assure you Bobby has accumulated enough new materiial to give it a second go! But .. he will just have to rest on his laurels.

Paul ElsteinAugust 5th, 2017 at 2:14 am

Hi Judy,

Among other things, I’ve been teaching bridge classes at senior centers. If young people aren’t getting into bridge (for all kinds of reasons), maybe more baby boomers will, once they are retired or are empty nesters. Some of my students are novices; others played many years ago and want to start anew; and some want to get beyond party bridge or just improve their skills.

What’s scary is that the scandals that Bobby fought against decades ago,have have resurfaced, possibly worse than ever. At least there are more than a couple of Lone Wolfes out there trying to protect the integrity of the game.

BTW, my issue of The Lone Wolff is copyrighted 2008. In his introduction, Bobby said he began writing it in 1995. I can see why you don’t want to see The Lone Wolff II !

Judy Kay-WolffAugust 5th, 2017 at 3:52 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for bringing me up to date with the
goings on in your life. It is gratifying to learn of your involvement in teaching .. both young and old. Bobby has been pleading for years for the ACBL to make an earnest, concerted interest to officially get bridge into Zone 2 schools but he is howling at the wind. That is not on their agenda. A prominent bridge philanthropist donated a million bucks to them to do whatever it took to introduce bridge into our schools. Three months later, unsatisfied with their progress, if any, he disappointedly recalled the remaining $750,000!
Without a formal educational program here, top level bridge here will fade into oblivion. Sorry for the rant .. but it appears bridge has a gloomy future here!

Yes, Boye Brogeland picked up where Bobby left off and has done an absolutely sensational job.
Our game still needs as much protection as possible.

Paul, you did your homework! Your dates are on target .. and Bobby continues giving his all to the game via his Aces on Bridge Column with the help of Uclick!