Where Do We Go From Here?

Being absent from non-local NABCs for several years, I have not kept abreast of the gradual changes with which bridge loving devotees have been facing. Sadly, many long-time friends have passed on… with fewer on the horizon to keep the game going. Where does the ACBL expect to find their replacements? I know it is beating an extremely dead horse, but without introduction of our game into our school curricula, forget it!!!! It will gradually die out.

Add to that: Exorbitant hotel fees (often PLUS parking), air travel delays because of necessary/mandatory security checks and… what I just spotted: Entry fees for all major events of $25.00 per person. Thus, if couples play either together or with others in major events for the entire tournament… the card fees could total close to a thousand bucks. It matters not to wealthy sponsors… but how about the loyal average income bridge devotees who have been attending year after year? How can it not take its toll on their bottom line! Soon NABC attendance will be unaffordable.

Where is all of this money going, I ask you???

P. S. On another topic, there is so much talk about Slow Play… not taking into consideration, we are dealing with an aging population with gradually failing memories or who are, of necessity, on many meds. Perhaps, a new event should be introduced… The Senile Pairs.

AlanDecember 2nd, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Re the Senile Pairs, you’re kidding on the level!

Judy Kay-WolffDecember 2nd, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Yes, Alan, I concur! But if bridge players (witnessing so many astronomical changes in the game) cannot maintain their sense of humor, they may as well throw in their convention cards! My opening thoughts were factual. My addendum was to lighten the atmosphere!

Thanks for chirping in!

BillyDecember 2nd, 2017 at 11:34 pm

You have mentioned before the ludicrous avalanche of master points up for grabs. I now see that during Silver Point Week two bucks is added to every entry. We will price ourselves into oblivion.

Judy Kay-WolffDecember 3rd, 2017 at 1:04 am

Hi Billy,

I remember when I first began to play (well over sixty years ago) back in Philly, we would count the moments with baited breath till the last Monday evening of each month rolled around .. for Master Point Night. What an incentive! We all made reservations in advance to be assured of not getting shut out. God Forbid!!!

Funny the associations one recalls!

MarthaDecember 4th, 2017 at 2:33 am

PGA, NBA, NHL,PBA, NFL, MLB…..All these have the same common bond, there are no amateurs on the field of play. The playing fields are arenas for the creme de la creme of the sport. All players are millionaires, their salaries are monstrous and the rewards are dreams that came true. Why bother to worry about the amatuers, who can play on line, for free or a dollar, and win more of the same old paper points that were once so coveted? Why should bridge be required in the school systems? It should be, at best, like the chess club, or number sense team, an afternoon activity. You asked ” Where did the money go?” Theft, be it by employee or management, covers it quite nicely. Those who have lived off the fat of the land will point their fingers at those before them and use a safety play word “mismanagement!” We know better…down the rabbit hole.

Bill CubleyDecember 4th, 2017 at 2:37 pm

As we have more and more Senior events at the NABCs we might run into a real problem. When 80% of the field requires a N-S stationery table. Will we accept hour long sit outs? 😉

However, I do get smiles from some when I tell them the tournament provides chairs so they do not need to bring one.

Judy Kay-WolffDecember 4th, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Martha, thanks for your candid assessment of where we are today!

Thought it may be of interest to the many newbies who follow this site that Martha (Beecher) and Grace Matthews were Co-Chairladies of our Unit 373 Las Vegas Tournaments from 1984 until 1999. And, the records will attest to the celebrated fact .. that during that period Las Vegas was unquestionably the largest drawing site in the country as a bridge locale! And, mind you, gambling was just beginning to get on the map bigtime .. with not nearly so many casinos as now! Martha and Grace went ALL OUT .. and the results were soooo gratifying!

What a difference between then and now.

Judy Kay-WolffDecember 4th, 2017 at 7:09 pm

H Bill,

Of course, by now, everyone realizes I was just joshing about introducing the Senile Pairs!
And, your usual sense of humor was appreciated.
I never thought about it, but there is much truth to your analysis of so much handicapped seating for my generation! But .. growing old is far better than the alternative!