Another Type of Bridge Challenge

If you are into word games and Bridge ‘Plays on Words,” you will love this.   The clues are directly related to Bridge Terminology such as .. Names of Conventions,  Famous Players,  Declarer Play or Defensive Tactics, Signals, etc., etc., etc.

For instance:     CAFFEINE RESIDENCE = Coffeehouse

A bit of background:  Back in the seventies I taught and coached a few Suburban Philadelphia Women’s Country Club Teams competing in a league.  I must confess I was probably only one page (not even a chapter) ahead of them at the time, but I zeroed in on card combos, safety plays, etc. which was much easier for me than what I was about to be exposed to (and overwhelmed by) in the next forty years.  At the end of the season, we would have a Closing Luncheon and I tried to feature some unique entertainment.  Last week, as I was trying to downsize my storage unit, I came upon an applauded presentation I want to share with you.  I was always  creating amateur bridge shows and games .. something like what you are about to see, but I cannot take credit for this particular one as I am uncertain if I or someone else originated the script .. as it was so long, long ago.

I will begin with three of the ‘easier ones’ and give you two days to play around with them; then provide the answers and take it from there.  I must confess .. they do get much more difficult as we move forward.  Have fun!

Here goes:

DARK TIMBER
        FEEBLE PAIRS
        MIDGET  BASEBALL BAT

CPJanuary 7th, 2018 at 5:56 am

Hi Judy:

Got two of the three (I think). Working on the third. Lots of fun. Looking forward to your answers .. plus the next batch.

Judy Kay-WolffJanuary 7th, 2018 at 6:15 am

Hi CP,
Returned from dinner and see you must have just responded. Keep working on the third. Bet you will get it. Though this was presented so long ago, most of the names, conventions, expressions, descriptions, etc. are frequently used in everyday duplicates. I already received a couple calls on my messaging service from friends who follow my blog site rendering answers. I will post them on Tuesday.

RobinJanuary 8th, 2018 at 6:33 am

Here’s an easy one for you…but I couldn’t resist

A LUPINE POLICE OFFICER

CPJanuary 8th, 2018 at 5:02 pm

You were right. Think I got the third one. Will wait till tomorrow to confirm. Cannot believe no one else responded. Probably too busy at a weekend tournament.

JudyJanuary 8th, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Thanks, Robin:

Before I follow through .. let me introduce you.

Robin is my daughter who is a game player as well (including tough bridge competition earlier in her career). However, I am responsible for her proclivity at plays on words as she was my testing ground. I read the above email when I awakened at 5:00 a.m. and was unable to fall back to sleep as I was soooo frustrated because I could not figure out the second word she sent (which she inferred was easy for ME). The first clue came to light quickly — after I confirmed the meaning of ‘lupine.’ It took hours .. and after some research .. I eventually stumbled upon the answer. The first clue should have made it a snap .. but my aging brain failed me.

If someone gets it, please share. If not, the answer will be posted tomorrow along with my earlier brain teasers.

WilliamJanuary 8th, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Joining CP, think I figured out the first trio. Believe it or not, this is easier than Bridge for me particularly because there are no time restraints. Look forward to the next group.

JudyJanuary 8th, 2018 at 6:18 pm

William,

I am the last one to whom you should mention timed events.

Pokey

JudyJanuary 9th, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Here are the answers to my three clues of Saturday:

BLACKWOOD
WEAK TWOS
SHORT CLUB

Now .. that wasn’t so hard, was it!

However, the teaser Robin posed was a toughie (at least the second part). LUPINE led me to WOLF but then I reached a two hour impasse.

The only word I could come up with for A POLICE OFFICER was COP but that made no sense! I finally researched the various words which referenced a police officer and after going through a long list of options, I stumbled upon the word ‘bobby’ .. the British terminology for a Police Officer. I immediately realized why Robin inferred I would find it easy.

Dumb me. The answer, you now see, was ….
BOBBY WOLFF.