After a Four Month Interlude…

due to many distractions on the home front .. I am back in action. Many distasteful happenings over that course of time on the bridge scene .. hard to decide where to begin. But, let me start at the top:

The World Bridge Federation (WBF). Despite unending investigations, research, documented hand records, auctions, leads, etc. by several qualified, investigating individuals illustrating beyond a doubt 100% proof of illicit signals that a certain country (obvious to all) had been CHEATING for eons and eons, they (headed by WBF Chairman, Mr. Rona) have turned deaf ears and blind eyes as if it had never happened .. starting at the prodding of Italy’s early captain, Carl Albert Perroux about sixty-five years ago. His way or the highway! And .. they continued on that road (‘helping partner’) all that time .. undaunted and unstopped. Sad!

If this continues, you can kiss our once-majestic game farewell .. as it has become a total farce and is on the way to oblivion.

NOTHING COMPARES TO THE ABOVE DECEIT .. but attention need be directed to other areas:

1. On line bridge sites are wonderful opportunities for those with time on their hands to pass the time of day, make social contact with others, voice their views and vent their spleen. I am distressed by much gobbledegook from less than expert players who voice their opinions as tried and true experts. Perhaps being married to two world class legends, I have learned my place.
  2. Manners at the bridge (especially duplicate) table aggravates me when the opponents either gloat at a good result or talk as if your partnership was not present. However, I suppose I am guilty of adding to the despicable chatter by reprimanding their open glee. Takes two to tango.
  3. Going along with the above is when the opponents start giving lessons. No thank you. I have a much better source than the alleged ‘teacher’ (and the price is right).
  4. Something else that bugs me .. an opponent taking advantage of partner’s huddle (and passing) in a non-forcing auction .. then balancing with some sort of protection .. knowing ‘your partner has something!’ It happens quite often. In fact, we had an auction some months ago, where I opened a weak 1NT (12-14) P 2H (up to 11) substantial HUDDLE AND PASS followed by my pass. Then with 11 points and a broken 5 card club suit, balancer bid 3C and the auction eventually ended in 3NT making. The Huddler had 14 points. Imagine that! The director was called but the scaredy-cat numbskull (now retired, thank heavens) allowed the result. Nauseating.

I’m just starting .. but let me hear some of your gripes!!

CPDecember 16th, 2018 at 4:49 am

Who can argue with your outrage regarding the WBF unyielding position — especially after Avon’s ‘Under The Table’ crossed every T and dotted every I!

JudyDecember 16th, 2018 at 5:03 am

Hi CP,

It was not only Avon’s three-year effort. Two other respected afficianados on the subject after substantial investigative research (namely Boye Brogeland and Kit Woolsey) reached the same conclusion.

Loyalty to one’s country, culture and brethren obviously takes undying precedence over one’s honesty and honor. Sad .. but oh so true!

WoodyDecember 16th, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Your Number 1 bugs me!! In today’s world .. so many view themselves as seers. Sickening!

JudyDecember 16th, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Hi Woody,

I will always remember my mother’s delightfully true admonition to me as a young lass: “Consider the source.”

Jonathan FergusonDecember 23rd, 2018 at 7:24 am

Hi Judy,

The game will NEVER be clean until it’s played on tablets (or some other electronic device.) And once the change is implemented, it will be as universally embraced after a few months as bidding boxes were.

No more disputes about how long someone took (break in tempo,) or which side is responsible for running out of time, because the time will be kept for each player. Lots of carding data for people to analyze when a pair is suspected of cheating. Perfect Vugraph data every single time. No more dealing with sticky, unsanitary cards. The advantages are massive. The drawbacks are tiny. It’s absurd that the ACBL hasn’t moved forward on that front. Why not start with Junior events?

As for readmitting collusive cheaters, yes, that’s dreadful. But if you forced me to choose between readmitting every KNOWN collusive cheater but fixing the game so that undetected cheating (with the exception of hidden agreements, which can’t be fixed absent polygraph tests and truth serums, depending on how sophisticated they are and how subtly they’re employed) is virtually impossible and banning all KNOWN collusive cheaters FOR LIFE but keeping the game as cheater-friendly as it is now, I’d pick the former in a heartbeat.

They’ve caught a handful of the laziest, sloppiest, and most blatant cheaters. If you think they’ve caught them all, I think you’re kidding yourself. It’s time to stop pretending that we can implicitly trust our fellow bridge players to act ethically and put in place measures that prevent them (or at least GREATLY restrict them) from doing otherwise.

JudyDecember 24th, 2018 at 12:45 am

Hi Jonathan,

What I adored about the game was not only the majesty of its uniqueness .. but the pleasure afforded me by meeting thousands of lovely people .. many of whom have become lifetime friends (not to mention two husbands who enhanced the game with talent and honor). Very lucky me!

No doubt electronic devices may (and probably) will become a way of the future. Thank heavens God placed me on this earth over 84 years ago and afforded me the exotic beauty of the game I have savored since my college days.

I have been truly blessed!!!!

Paul CroninDecember 25th, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Hi Jonathan,

If using tablets, would have to make sure that they cannot be hacked into, or pre-programmed in any way.

Darwin AfdahlDecember 29th, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I missed your blogs, very interesting and informative.
Happy New Year to you and Bobby!

Darwin and Kay
♠️♥️♦️♣️

JudyJanuary 9th, 2019 at 5:15 am

Hi Darwin and Kay,

It is longtime friends like you, I really miss. Not many of them still around (at least of your quality and stature). Hope you will be visiting LV for the summer nationals!