SUN CITY SUMMERLIN

Bridge .. from a totally different (but delightful) perspective!
Yesterday, we had the pleasure of attending a duplicate at the Sun City Mountain Shadows Community Center.   A real eye opener!

My good friend Sue Grue and I surprised her husband Tom (who loyally plays with her every Wednesday) by stepping down and my husband Bobby Wolff appeared in her place.

The experience was so unlike any other:  Non ACBL affiliated; NO master points; $2.00 card fees.  Two sections .. one casual and one more serious and experienced.  Seven four-hand rounds (28 boards).  First seven rounds scores already calculated with each of  the last four boards recorded after played.  Total time of game three hours and five minutes.

The director was Bill Price (a longtime friend of ours) who was warm and friendly and kept the game going at a suitable pace.

Just as impressive was the lovely dress code and good manners and warmth of each pair as they arrived at our table.  “Our table” .. with me as a comfortable and spellbound  kibitzer, watching Tom at his best (and Bobby his incredible self) who eked out a North-South win with a shade over 61%.

Bobby confessed he did not know bridge like this still existed and a pleasure to reflect over sixty years ago where people showed their respect rather than disdain for each other.

One of my loveliest bridge experiences at the bridge table!

Masterpoints/Schmasterpoints?? Who needs them!

CPJanuary 31st, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Hi Judy,

I’m an old timer too .. so I know where you and Bobby are coming from. The Days of Wine and Roses are a long gone memory. I still love the game but we are in denial if we don’t reflect the countless changes .. and not all for the better!

JudyJanuary 31st, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Hi CP,

It is indeed not the same bridge world to which I was introduced in my early twenties. The game shaped my life beyond anyone’s imagination. First Norman and then Bobby. Lucky is a gross underbid. But today .. the focus is upon money and masterpoints and the majesty of the game has vanished into obscurity. Sad, sad!

Robin StewartFebruary 2nd, 2019 at 7:07 am

You are so right as I recently found out first-hand….My husband and I have recently started looking for a new home. At first we were looking at stand alone homes. However, after touring the properties and chatting with some of the home owners my eyes were opened to a whole new world – just like the one you speak of in your column. I have become truly enamored with a couple of the adult (55+) communities here in Arizona for just the reason you mentioned – the social aspect.

It is almost like going back in time to a by gone era where people dressed to go to the theater and had fascinating conversations at dinner without being tied to a cell phone…I almost forgot how wonderful that could be!.

You mentioned a bridge club but these communities boast dozens and dozens of clubs to suit so many varied interests…Any day of the week you can find a golf game or a book club or a movie group or a cooking group with lovely interesting and friendly neighbors. Here in Arizona pickleball is the rage but no matter what your interest you will find a club…if not, you are welcome to start your own.

I will always enjoy my life in the 21st century but It’m glad to see that there are communities where people can srill find the time to stop and smell the roses.

JudyFebruary 2nd, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Hi Robin,

You didn’t miss a beat! What an accurate assesment of today’s world .. especially the obsession for cell phones. However, my real objection is their frequent use while driving.

Yes, the senior community was impressive. Getting old is not all bad .. with special facilities as witnessed in Sun City Summerlin .. and their obviously gracious focus on our wonderful game.

Our appearance there was truly a day to long remember .. with a big smile!

JudyFebruary 8th, 2019 at 1:15 am

As I was sitting in the beauty parlor today .. having my hair blown dry, above the uproar, I thought the woman next to me uttered the word ‘bridge.’ Indeed, she did .. asking if that was what I was playing on my iPad. I replied that I was just proofreading my husband’s upcoming bridge column. I learned she was a bridge player named Martha McDonald and she lived in Sun City. She started to tell me about her friend Sue Grue’s husband Tom …and I interrupted and finished the sentence .. adding “played last Wednesday at Sun City with my husband, Bobby Wolff!”

The expression “What a small world” is a gross underbid!

Sue GrueFebruary 9th, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Small world indeed. I will send this link to Martha and friends.

Martha McDonaldFebruary 9th, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Such a surprise to learn our chance encounter mentioned on your blog! Bridge still unites strangers, albeit there are fewer and fewer to be united. The Grues, Prices and many other wonderful people (mostly bridge players) are why it is a privilege to live in Sun City Summerlin. Welcome to our community!

JudyFebruary 10th, 2019 at 3:37 am

Hi “Girls” ..

Thank you for your acknowledgements of my so-called chanced meeting at the beauty parlor. The more people I meet who live in Sun City Summerlin, the more convinced I am that is where Bobby and I should spend our retirement days. Growing old is not all bad.