Sanctimonious Blatherers on the Bridge Sites

I don’t think it is a coincidence that the word SANCTIMONIOUS happens to contain THIRTEEN letters (13 associated with bad luck) because it has such negative overtones.

When these columns first came upon the scene, it was an interesting and enlightening way to bring the bridge universe together. Gradually it became a so-called ‘free for all.’ A large number (who were unqualified and totally unfamiliar with the actual details of the subject matter) caustically stuck in their two cents! Many were oblivious to the crucial facts that prevailed. Some were banned; others got away with their erroneous and uncalled for remarks. I found it a betrayal of the original purpose of the originators. Sad .. it has reached this point!

Remember the old game Whisper Down the Lane and the final result .. total distortion. It can be assimilated to the above issue!

WilliamFebruary 16th, 2019 at 1:59 am

I totally agree. Fortunately, it does not happen on this site.

JudyFebruary 16th, 2019 at 2:16 am

Yes, William.

When people tend to have other views (and it has happened on occasion), I have found they are most respectful in sharing their own thoughts on the subject.

It is the same way on my husband Bobby’s site (“Aces on Bridge”). In fact it is like a “love in.”

His newspaper column appears in over 100 newspapers universally and two weeks later, it can be found on the Internet. He has a fan club here in the states as well as across the seas. Everyone treats each other so respectfully and the banter back and forth is not only educational .. but entertaining as well. No blatherers in the vicinity.

CarolFebruary 22nd, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Yes, Judy, Bobby’s column site is extremely rare. I, too, am exasperated with the frothing at the mouth by people who profess to be extremely knowledgeable. Sometime freedom of the press gets out of hand!

JudyFebruary 22nd, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Carol,

At one time I refuted the blatherers but decided to stop and not waste my time. I have more productive ventures to which I can direct my energy!

George BurnsMarch 12th, 2019 at 1:21 am

Well if that’s how you feel about sanctimony, how do you feel about hypocrisy? Asking for a friend.

JudyMarch 12th, 2019 at 3:32 am

I thought you were dead, George!

Incidentally, Bobby got to play some rubber bridge with George, and was very impressed with him as person and as a decent bridge player.

Talk about old memories!